2.19.2010

ROAD TRIP!

I'm a man on a mission.

Currently operating out of a small town in northern Florida which shall remained unnamed. I'm nothing but an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

Driving down to Florida you see some interesting things. Houses draped in confederate flags, more double-wides than you could shake a stick at ... and waffle houses. Lots and lots of waffle houses. But one thing that really stood out to me were the street names. First, we passed Sparkleberry circle. I laughed. Then we passed Mercy Seat drive. I laughed a little harder (the mercy seat was a nickname for old electric chairs). But then ... then we passed Sparkleberry lane. What? Not 5 miles before we had passed Sparkleberry cir. I could accept that. Strange name, but it's a circle, so it should end and I never have to see it again. Now it's back, this time in lane form directly after we go by old electric chair drive.

At first I was a little confused by it all. Why have 2 completely different roads share that name? Then I was just really angry. Just ... an irrational anger.

This put me in a strange frame of mind when I saw a small cat run over by a speeding truck on the street right infront of me as we attempted to turn make our entrance. As best I can tell, the back right tire of the truck ran over the cats neck, and the body flopped up in the air. When it hit the road again it's hind legs began to spasm violently. After that I couldn't really complain about being in the middle of nowhere.

No comments: